Research Methodology – Top Engineering Colleges in India
The objective of this research was to identify and rank Top Engineering Colleges in India. The research had 3 major modules i.e. Desk Research, Factual survey & Perceptual Rating survey followed by scientifically developed anlaysis & ranking process.
An extensive 4 week of fieldwork was conducted beginning the 1st week of April 2018 to 4th week of April 2018.
The module 1 was a secondary research module. A comprehensive list of engineering colleges was generated with the help of internet, magazines and other publications. The various sources used for generation of engineering college list included:
- List of colleges/ universities from previous surveys
- A discussion with industry experts to add/ delete any college to ensure we have a comprehensive list
However, it is not possible to get an exhaustive list of colleges and include them in the survey. To give equal chance to all, we had an option of adding any new college name in the survey form if any respondent mentioned any college name outside our list. Effectively, every engineering college had a chance of getting covered in the survey if their name was mentioned by the respondents.
In module 2, more than 800 engineering colleges were sent the factual data questionnaire and then rigorously followed up through different modes such as telephone, email and even face-to-face if required.
The factual data sheet was focused on the following information areas:
- General information of the college: Establishment, College type, Affiliation etc.
- Courses offered & number of seats
- Intellectual capital
- Industry interface
- Potential to network
- Exchange programs & Global exposure
- Research Orientation & focus
- Alumni chapter
In the Perceptual Survey Module, a strucutred Questionnaire was administered to selected respondents including HR professionals, faculty, alumni, current students, aspiring students to arrive a a ranking and rating of engineering colleges. The sample selection was done using convenience sampling method though the sample was spread out geographically to get better representation. A sample survey of 1553 was conducted across 14 cities i.e. Delhi-NCR, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Ahmadabad, Chandigarh, Pune, Indore, Lucknow, Bhubaneswar, Jaipur and Ranchi. The geographical spread of the sample was ensured by selecting multiple starting points spread across the cities.
The following key parameters were covered in Perceptual Rating
- Course Curriculum
- Industry Interaction
- Research Orientations & focus
- Global Exposure
- Overall Brand Value
A robust approach was followed to arrive at the final rankings. The step by step process is given below:
- Factual Score
- The information collected corresponded to similar parameters as in the perceptual survey
- A detailed scoring system was developed for each parameter
- After assigning scores to each parameter, raw scores were calculated
- The raw scores were weighted by their importance to arrive at weighted scores
- Perceptual Score
- Ratings on various parameters for each college
- Calculating importance of various parameters to arrive at weights for each parameter – we used a regression model to arrive at the importance of various parameters
- Calculation of raw scores and weighted scores for each parameter
- Calculation of overall score for each college using importance weightages.
- The final rank was calculated for all those Engineering colleges who had shared the factual data. Also, the list of top 30 colleges who scored high in Perceptual (but did not submit factual) were listed in an alphabetical order.
- Recently MHRD granted autonomy to several universities who have maintained high academic standards. We have accordingly listed top 5 universities with special status.
Special Modules for Ranking Engineering Colleges on Research Capabilities and Placements
This year we introduced specialized modules to rank Engineering colleges on
- Research Capabilities & Infrastructure
These were conducted as additional surveys with a special focus on the above aspects.
These Modules were mainly based on the Factual survey where in detailed information was collected from the participating Engineering Colleges on their Research Infrastructure and Research Activity. Similarly, for Placements, a detailed Factual survey module was created on placements in terms of companies that visit, offers made, efforts made by colleges to get their students placed.
The Factual Survey was also supported with a satisfaction survey amongst research faculty and research scholars of each participating institute for Research whereas Interviews were conducted amongst Students, Faculty and Alumni of each participating institute for Placement. A total of 1580 interviews were done for research, and 875 interviews were done for Placement.
- Only those colleges who participated in the Factual Survey have been ranked in all modules
- Relatively newer colleges who have less than 5 batches graduated out of their colleges were included in Emerging Engineering College List.
Note: Present survey has been conducted exclusively by an independent Research Agency named i3RC Insights Pvt. Ltd. (i3RC) using stated methodology for arriving at given rankings.